An Extraordinary Meeting of Provincial Grand Chapter was held at the Marlow Masonic centre, on 19th September 2011 to close the Studholme Brownrigg Chapter, No. 2421. In attendance were many members of the Provincial Executive.
During the ceremony of closure, the Grand Superintendent addressed the Companions present, emphasising that the ceremony was to do honour to the Founders of the Chapter and to celebrate the history of the Chapter and the achievements of its members.
After a short and well received presentation of the history of the Studholme Brownrigg Chapter by the Scribe ‘E’, Ian Beckett, there followed a service of thanksgiving and the Charter of the Chapter was returned for transmission to Supreme Grand Chapter.
The Grand Superintendent once again addressed the Companions, emphasising that “the formation, flourishing and waning of Lodges and Chapters had been part and parcel of the history of Freemasonry throughout the ages. The closure of the Studholme Brownrigg Chapter was a sad loss to the Province of Buckinghamshire, especially as it was a centenary chapter that had been consecrated on 11th April 1896.”
It is encouraging that elsewhere in the Province, chapters are flourishing as an increasing number of Craft Masons decide to take their next step to complete their journey in Pure Antient Masonry by becoming members of the Royal Arch. (See the Bucks’ RA Interactive page for the latest newly exalted Companions)